12.08.2008

The first time I met Lola Paz, my then-boyfriend-now-hubby Albert and I were just about a few months into our relationship. Several months passed before I saw her again and this time, she asked me what my major was and when she learned that I'm also an Applied Physics major she had another question to ask - "Ah, scientist ka pala. Anong ginagawa nyo dun? Sa computer ba? May mga nuclear ba dun sa laboratory nyo? Mag-iingat kayo lagi ha delikado yun..." [So, you're a scientist? What do you do? Does it involve computers? Are there nuclear stuff in your laboratory? Always take care, those are dangerous...]

That's Lola Paz, her mind is still very inquisitive and eager to know new things even though she's already 88 oops, 90 yrs old. She buys a broadsheet every Sunday ("Linggo lang, mahal din magparasyon ng araw-araw") [Only on Sundays, it would be too expensive to have a daily ration] and shares it with Mama (Lory).

She also takes clippings of articles, pastes it on her journal and write her thoughts about the article. She asks for pictures of her family and writes about them (I especially love these stories). She writes about anything under the sun, her prayers, her hopes and dreams, her memories, even her resolutions - everything is a hodgepodge of thoughts - all these in a penmanship that evokes memories of my grade school teachers (Is that a requirement for grade school teachers? - their penmanship looks similar to me). Here's a sample:

----
Just some stuff about her journals and how I'll be translating it to this blog:

- Her journals have a label in front containing a passage. I'll include those as an introduction everytime I start transcribing a journal.
- Pictures, articles, cards will be scanned and posted along with her thoughts
- So far, Lola Paz has always included the date for each journal entry, I'll place those in the title of each entry.
- I'll be copying her entries, as is. That means no editing, whatsoever. If she crosses out words from her entry, I'll mark those as words with a strikethrough as well - Thank God I know how to do that with HTML hehe.
- I'll be adding translations, indicated by [ ]

No comments: