12.11.2008

12.17.2005 Learn from Trees

There is a poem we have learned in grade school that I consider a beautiful prayer. Here it goes:

Trees
I think that I shall never see
A poem as lovely as a tree,
A tree whose hungry mouth is pressed.
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast
A tree that looks at God all day
And lifts her leafy arms to pray,
A tree that may in summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair,
Upon whose bosom snow has lain
Who intimately lives with rain
Poems are made by fools like me
But only God can make a tree.

One can derive desirable traits to show gratitude to the Lord's blessings, for the rain and the sun; think how a big tree grows from a tiny seed. How prayerful a tree is! Even the feathery snow flakes take refuge on the branches and leaves of trees.

The sight of a treeless mountain side can remind us of the sinful hands of man as the cause of floods and big destruction brought about by loggers.

I still think the writer of the poem is not a fool, for I find my sense of spirituality enhanced by the images I have in mind as I read the poem. I see humility in the last line. In grade school, we were even taught to sing the song - Trees.

If we can only pause every now and then as we go - on our way and reflect on the messages the good Lord sends us to tell us His everlasting love and care for us, then we can truly be grateful for the graces we receive and love Him more and more.

Let us give thanks to the Lord.

Look around and discover small creations of God and reflect on what good things or how these show the Lord's love for the human beings He created.

No comments: